Greenwich Village : Christopher Park - Gay Liberation sculptures de George Segal
Christopher Street is a street in the West Village neighborhood of the New York City borough of Manhattan, and was at the center of New York's gay rights movement in the late 1970s. To this day the street serves as a symbol of gay pride.
The street was once called Skinner Road after Colonel William Skinner, the son-in-law of Admiral Peter Warren who once owned much of the land in the West Village. The street received its current name in 1799, when the land was acquired by Charles Christopher Amos. See also Charles Street, and Amos Street.
Christopher Street is the first stop in Manhattan on the 33rd Street Line of the Port Authority Trans-Hudson rapid transit railroad. The PATH identifies Christopher Street station with a large single capital 'C'. The street also has a station on the IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue Line (1 2) at Christopher Street-Sheridan Square.
Sheridan Square Park is decorated with sculptures by George Segal, called Gay Pride, to commemorate the gay rights traditions of the place.